PHI 210 PROBLEM SOLVING
Assignment 2:Â Problem Solving
Due Week 9 and worth 150 points
When faced with a problem, what do you do to solve it? This assignment asks you to apply a six-step to problem solving process to a specific problem scenario. You will write a paper that presents a synthesis of your ideas about solving the problem using this systematic approach. As Voltaire said, “No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking.”
Choose one (1) of the problem scenarios as a topic choice for your paper (Note: Your professor must approve your topic choice before you begin work on the assignment.)
Scenario 1: You have worked at your company for eleven (11) years. You have returned to college to earn a Bachelorâ€™s degree in order to increase your chances for a promotion. You are nearly finished with your degree, when a supervisorâ€™s position in a competing company becomes available in another state. The start date is in two (2) weeks, during your final exam period for your courses. The position offers a $15,000 per year salary increase, a car allowance, and relocation expenses. Your former supervisor works for the company and is recommending you for the position based on your outstanding job performance; if you want the job, itâ€™s yours. All of the other supervisors at this level in the company have Masterâ€™s degrees, so you know that you would be expected to earn your Bachelorâ€™s degree and continue on to a Masterâ€™s degree. Your present company offers tuition reimbursement, but the new company does not.
Review the six-step problem solving process outlined in the webtext, based on the article â€œThe Problem Solving Processâ€ located atÂ http://www.gdrc.org/decision/problem-solve.html:
- Step One: Define the problem
- Step Two: Analyze the problem
- Step Three: Generate options
- Step Four: Evaluate options
- Step Five: Make your decision
- Step Six: Implement and reflect
Write a four to five (4-5) page paper in which you:
1. Define the problem in the scenario that you have chosen.
2. Analyze the problem in the scenario.
3. Generate options for solving the problem in the scenario.
4. Evaluate the options for solving the problem.
5. Decide on the best option for solving the problem.
6. Explain how you will implement the decision made and reflect on whether this option was the most effective.
The paper should follow guidelines for clear and organized writing:
- Include an introductory paragraph and concluding paragraph.
- Address main ideas in body paragraphs with a topic sentence and supporting sentences.
- Adhere to standard rules of English grammar, punctuation, mechanics, and spelling.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA Style format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the studentâ€™s name, the professorâ€™s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
You should follow these submission guidelines:
- Submit the paper draft to Turnitin.com and then submit the originality report with the draft to Blackboard.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Recognize the hindrances to the decision-making process in order to apply problem-solving skills to a variety of situations.
- Create written work utilizing the concepts of critical thinking.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in critical thinking skills and informal logic.